Au Revoir, mon ami...



A year has departed…….Even though everyone eagerly anticipates the arrival of a new year with great delight, shining hopes , honest prayers and crossed fingers , the passing of a year is alike a separation with a dear friend which fills the heart with nostalgia. Memories stalk you and no matter where you run they turn up at unexpected alleys and compel you to take an intimate glimpse at one’s saga so far.
At times this year sprinted at breakneck speed urging one to buck up; lest you are the one being left behind, at others it meandered unsure of itself and apprehensive of the busy boulevards ahead. Yet there were instances when it sauntered away smelling the wildflowers along the way. But there were many ,many occasions that it came to an abrupt halt jarring one from his comfort zone.
There were exhilarating new encounters and somber goodbyes. A few friends metamorphosed into strangers making one question the illusion of permanency enveloping our lives. And certain strangers weaved themselves into the fabric of our lives reassuring us that we aren’t deserted in our joys and sorrows, smiles and tears, anguish and solace and more imperatively in life or death.
It brought with it new beginnings and old ends. New journeys, novel experiences and same old; same old me. Am I? Am I identical to who I was the year before or did I transform with my experiences, hard lessons, fulfilled dreams and shattered hopes? Was I a mere spectator in my own life’s production, unscathed by tragedy, indifferent to sighs and whispers of a lover and unappreciative of my happiness? I would not admit it as the truth for I know that each breath altered me a little and yet the more remained the same. Yet when the dusk settles in, it does not matter as in each beat of my heart, every flutter of my eyelashes and all the pulsing in my blood there was irrefutable evidence that I was alive. And living is the greatest adventure of all.



So this is my personal ode to the passing year. I say a bittersweet goodbye to you old friend and ask that in spirit of our cherished time together you pardon my sins, revel in my triumphs, shed a few tears for my defeats, and pray that my new friend treats me as warmly as you did. In return I wish that you fade into the night with the same feat with which you were born. Au revoir , mon ami…..

3 comments:

The West Wind said...

Nice.. so touching!! Such a lovely Goodbye!! :)

etymofreak said...

I have always been a skeptic of new year's and d rites associated with the passage of a year...
I have rarely paused to ponder over the infinitesimal changes happening to us with each passing moment.
Great post... maybe from this year onwards I will take more pleasure in the small things that make up life
:)

sonu said...

truth of Life :)

Post a Comment